Celebration of Baptism
Divine Mercy Parish celebrates infant Baptisms in English on any Sunday after the 10:00 AM Mass (if Saturday is needed, family must call the office to check availability). Parents must be registered and active members of the parish for at least (2) months. Parents and Godparents need to call the Parish Office to make an appointment with the Pastor to arrange for Baptisms. All Catholic Godparents must be fully-initiated practicing Catholics who are living by the Church’s teaching on marriage. Non-Catholic Godparents must be Christians, actively practicing their faith. Please call the Parish Office for additional information.
- Only one male or female or one of each sex is to be the sponsor.
- No parent may be the sponsor for their child.
- The sponsor is to be designated by the one being baptized/confirmed or by their parents/guardians or in their absence the pastor or his delegate.
- Sponsors must have completed the sixteenth (16) year, unless the diocesan bishop has set another age, or it seems to the pastor or his delegate an exception can be made for just grounds.
- The sponsor must be a Catholic who already has completed the Sacraments of Christian Initiation and leads a life in harmony and the role to be undertaken. The sponsor must not be barred by any canonical penalty legitimately mandated.
- It is desirable that the Godparents at Baptism also be the Sponsors at Confirmation. As Confirmation “completes” baptism, the role of the godparent is “completed” as well.
- A baptized non-Catholic may be admitted as a witness to baptism but only together with a Catholic sponsor.
(The non-Catholic must present to the pastor a letter from his/her minister that he/she is a practicing member of the respective church. Also, the non-Catholic must state in writing that he/she will not do anything to prevent the child from being raised Catholic and not to prevent the child from practicing the Catholic faith).
For Spanish Baptisms (please call the office 570-462-1968 to schedule)
In order to properly prepare for marriage, it is expected that the couple contact the Parish Office six (6) months prior to your presumed wedding date. After meeting with one of the priests, the couple should contact the Office of Marriage and Family Life Formation at 610-289-8900 x 221 to register for the FOCCUS inventory. The FOCCUS inventory should be taken online within two weeks of the first meeting with the priest. After discussing the FOCCUS inventory with the priest, the couple should register online for marriage preparation classes. These classes must be taken at least six (6) months prior to the wedding date. For more information, please call the office 570-462-1968.
If you are a sponsor for a child in another parish, please download the form below, fill it out and call
the parish office for an appointment with Msgr. Bocian. Office phone number 570-462-1968.
Click here to download sponsor formDivine Mercy BaptismConfirmation Questionnarie
Sacrament of the Sick
If you need a priest to anoint a family member during office hours, please call 570-462-1968. If after office hours, please call Msgr. Bocian at 570-462-1968 ext. 7.